Wednesday, January 21, 2009

No Shoes, No Service

Amazing! So, I walk into the men's shoe department of a nationally-known department store. 6 customers, 1 salesperson. I wait a moment, and the salesperson runs past me and asks how he can help me. I tell him the brand of shoe I want (big wide feet, need a certain type for comfort!), and then tell him I need a plain boring black traditional lace-up business shoe, you know, wing tips, or something really exciting like that. He points me to a suped-up disco looking black shoe. I say "That's nice but, I really need just a plan boring traditional business shoe." I tell him the size I need. "I don't have anything that large" he says. I tell hm the width I need. "We don't carry that width", looking slightly annoyed. "But, let me look."

The salesperson brings out two boxes. One is a suped-up disco looking black shoe...boy, that seems familiar. I look at him and say "Business shoe" and I open the other box, which to my surprise, contains a pair of boring black business shoes....wrong size! I try them on, their too snug, I put them back in the box and say thanks. As I begin to walk away he leads me to another table saying "I have these" as he points to a suped-up disco looking black shoe. I stare at him for a moment, I'm sure my jaw dropped a bit, lean forward and say "biz-ness-shoe!" and thank him for his time.

I drive to another shopping center where a store sells nothing but, the shoes I tried to buy in the dept store. The salesperson smiles, tells me how nicely dressed I am, shows me what's on sale, reminds me that the sale ends in a couple of days, and asks my size. She says, "I think we've got that size and width in a few styles. I know you need a business shoe. Have a seat while I check the store room." She comes out with a box, right shoe, right size. Before I try it on she says "If it's too snug, we can order the right size and deliver it to your home in 3 days....would that be ok?". The shoe angels sang! The shoe fit, so I'm wearing it.

The salesperson handed me her card, packed my old shoes away, offered to assist me in any way she could, smiled a few more times, asked me to come again, and said " If we don't meet again, may you have a wonderful life." Not a merely good night...a wonderful life!!! And, she was serious!

The department store had no shoes and offered no service.

The specialty store had some shoes and provided service. And, I probably paid a bit more. In an economy that sucks, retailers need all the sales they can get. The formula isn't that complicated.

Amazing!

0 comments:

Andrew Zezas, SIOR ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP